The Ranfurly Village History
Prior to the establishment of the Veterans Home (as it was first known) in 1903, the land was owned by Alfred Buckland, a prominent Auckland businessman and land-owner (Buckland’s Beach was named after him). The 223 hectares operated as a farm and was known as “Three Kings Farm”.
The establishment of the Veterans Home came about at the suggestion of the Governor of New Zealand at the time, Lord Ranfurly, when peace was declared after the Boer War in South Africa in 1902.
By this time in New Zealand there was an aging veteran population. The first occupants of the Ranfurly Veterans Home when it opened in 1903 included veterans of the Crimean War (1854-1856) and New Zealand Wars (1845-1872).